The 1913 Alpine Trial, or Alpenfahrt, was the sternest test in Europe of a car’s engineering, reliability and performance in the pioneering days of motoring. Wounded by failing to finish the previous year after grinding to a halt on the infamous Katschberg Pass, James Radley returned in 1913 as one of the legendary ‘Alpine Eagles’; four Rolls-Royce Silver Ghosts whose collective dominant performance ensured that the name of Rolls-Royce was written in legend in the early years of the automobile for their grace and their technical excellence.
To mark the 110th anniversary of this incredible performance Classic Travelling, on behalf of the Rolls-Royce Enthusiasts Club Silver Ghost Register, is re-enacting this tour, but in a more leisurely fashion. The original Alpenfahrt was just 8 days and involved gruelling driving, and long mileages, and tested the endurance of the drivers as well as the cars. For 2023 we shall be taking a leisurely three weeks to enjoy the 1913 route, plus a number of two and three-night stays in lovely hotels.
Starting and finishing in Vienna, the tour follows the route through Austria, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia and include all the important historic alpine passes. The tour will cover around 1850 miles but there are days when you do not need to drive. The tour is organised, but you are not and there is some flexibility to enjoy the trip as you wish each day.
In 1913 the cars were new and the drivers younger but the roads were much more of a challenge and to drive the 1650-mile Alpenfahrt route in 8 days with just one day’s respite was incredible!
THIS TOUR IS FULLY BOOKED
Highlights of the Alpenfahrt 2023 Tour
- Drive the same route (as near as practicable) to the 1913 Alpenfahrt Trials
- Enjoy wonderful scenic routes around Austria, Italy, Slovenia and northern Croatia
- Visit the beautiful Austrian cities of Vienna and Salzburg, with time to explore
- Drive the 19 stunning alpine passes of the 1913 trials, in addition to the famed Stelvio Pass
- Stay in lovely hotels – all four-five star or equivalent
- See the beautiful Italian Lake Garda
- Gaze upon the incredible mountains of the Alps and the Dolomites
- Drive some of the most scenic routes in the Alps
- Explore the Italian city of Trieste, formerly part of the Hapsburg Empire