This New England driving tour explores a distinctly American region rich in history, culture, and natural beauty. It is particularly known for its brilliant autumns (fall) to drive lazily through mountains blanketed with gold-and-red foliage. There are also plenty of other things to do such as stopping at country stores, orchards, local restaurants, wandering through antique shops lining a peaceful village green, exploring the museums and shopping of the cities, or to get a head start on some cool day hikes in the mountains and countryside.
Drive across New York City, onto Long Island for two nights in the Hamptons. Take the ferry to Connecticut before heading to Newport, Rhode Island for two nights. Explore Cape Cod and the fabulous city of Boston for a few days, and then drive north up the Maine coast to Camden. The tour then turns inland, across Maine and New Hampshire to Mount Washington and onto Stowe, Vermont, giving plenty of time to take in the mountains. Enjoy a weekend in southern Vermont in true New England style. The tour winds its way south, through Massachusetts and the Berkshires, then finally through Connecticut back to New York. The final night of the tour will be in New York, with an option to extend your stay for those who wish to take a bigger bite of the Big Apple.
Our carefully chosen route ensures that we pass by some lovely places to see and visit each day. We stay off the main roads and highways as much as possible, and the traffic is light and the driving easy. We have written detailed route directions for your convenience, and describe all the sights to see and recommend places to visit or eat.
This tour is ideal for September/October for the colours, although enjoyable at any time of year.
Highlights of the New England Driving Tour
- Beautiful beaches & coastline of Long Island, Cape Cod & Maine
- Fascinating, historic towns such as The Hamptons, Newport, Stowe, Woodstock & Deerfield
- Enjoy a sunset sail in Newport Harbor, Rhode Island
- Mansion visits in Newport, Rhode Island
- Sensational drives including Mount Washington, Kancamagus Highway, Equinox Skyline drive & Mohawk Trail
- Stunning scenery with lakes, mountains, coasts, countryside, villages & towns
- Be a ‘leaf peeper’ and see the incredible autumn leaf colours
- Visit the world-famous cites of New York & Boston
- Climb Mount Washington
- Delicious seafood, lobsters, and seasonal foods
- Outstanding hotels, from wood shingle beach houses & mountain retreats to traditional weather-board village inns & luxury city hotels
- Visit 7 states: New York, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont & Connecticut