Dorset has one of the best known coastlines in England. Extending eastwards from Lyme Regis the coast has numerous sandy beaches. Poole Harbour is home to one of the world’s largest natural harbours and there are many nature reserves and marine parks along the coast. Notable amongst these is Chesil Bank, a huge pebble beach stretching from Weymouth to Bridport. There are also many attractive and unique coves such as Durdle Door and Lulworth Cove.
Find fossils on the beaches of the Jurassic Coast, a World Heritage Site with 95 miles of stunning coastline, hidden bays, sandy beaches and crumbling cliffs, and drink ale in ancient inns once frequented by smugglers. Inland, Thomas Hardy’s lyrical landscape offers the largest, most complex Iron Age hill forts in Europe at Maiden Castle, rude chalk figures at Cerne Abbas, fairy-tale castles and must-see stately homes.
Stay for four nights in a fabulous country house hotel, renowned for its warm hospitality, superb food and wonderful cocktails. If you want to sample a classic slice of rural England with some impressive coastline thrown in, then Dorset is for you – perfect for a quiet country escape.
Highlights of Dorset
- Stay in a beautiful, historic country house hotel
- Drive along Dorset’s fabulous Jurassic Coast
- Visit Lulworth Cove & Castle
- See the incredible earthworks of Maiden Castle
- Enjoy the gardens and historic houses of Forde Abbey, Kingston Lacy and others
- Visit the lovely towns such as Sherborne, Dorchester, Beaminster & Lyme Regis
- Marvel at the Cerna Abbas Giant
- Learn about Thomas Hardy’s Dorset
- Scenic drives through pretty villages and across rolling hills with far-reaching views