Enjoy a wonderful tour to France, to the beautiful Dordogne region, exploring the fabulous gorges and valleys that make this area such a favourite. Indulge in rich food, an even richer history, whilst enjoying the chateau-studded countryside and pretty villages. Drive down to the Dordogne via Cognac and visit the famous Courvoisier cognac house. This tour will take you to the very best of the Dordogne region, staying at three wonderful hotels. Explore the beautiful town of Sarlat and its popular market. Visit some of the most beautiful villages of the region, including Beynac, Domme & Rocamadour. Learn history with a visit of the National Prehistory Museum and the Lascaux IV cave – for France’s finest prehistoric cave art, although there are plenty of examples in the caverns and rock shelters of the Vézère Valley. The return journey will include an overnight stop in the Loire Valley, renowned for its fairytale châteaux.
Part of the historic area that was called Aquitaine, its strategic importance through the ages is illustrated by the many bastides (fortified towns) and fortresses throughout. Today it’s known to the French as the Périgord, and is divided into four colour-coded areas: Périgord Pourpre (purple) for the winegrowing regions around Bergerac; Périgord Noir (black) for the dark oak forests around the Vézère Valley and Sarlat-la-Canéda; Périgord Blanc (white) after the limestone hills around the capital, Périgueux; and Périgord Vert (green) for the forested regions of the north.
- Visit the Courvoisier cognac house
- See the incredible Lascaux cave paintings
- Potter around pretty towns & villages including Sarlat, Rocamadour, Domme, Beynac and Brantome
- Discover the four Perigord regions
- Wander around the beautiful, manicured gardens of Marqueyssac and Eyrignac Manor
- Experience the gourmet extravaganza of Sarlat’s market, with truffles, foie gras, walnuts and wines
- See the troglodyte dwellings
- Explore the Chateaux of Castelnaud & Beynac among others
- See the incredible Lascaux Caves II