THERE ARE NOW JUST FOUR ROOMS REMAINING
Cumbria and the Lake District have some of the finest expanses of British countryside and this region has spellbound the adventurous traveller since the earliest days of tourism.
Situated in the far north-west corner of England, the northern boundary of Cumbria runs along the Scottish Border, known as the ‘Debatable Lands’, where the ancient border city of Carlisle is found. The west of Cumbria is bounded by the Irish Sea. The Pennine range divides Cumbria from Northumberland to the east. The south of the county is bordered partly by sea and partly by the Yorkshire Dales and Lancashire.
The English Lake District is found in the mountainous heart of Cumbria, and attracts visitors from all over the world with its scenic beauty, its mountains, still lakes and villages which seem to have grown out of this rocky landscape. Stone walls can be seen stretching skywards over all but the highest of hills. The area inspired Wordsworth and other writers and poets – and with good reason. Enjoy five full days touring Cumbria and the Lake District, based at two wonderful hotels, with three nights in each.
As well as the whole of the Lake District, also known as The Lakes or Lakeland and now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Cumbria includes the Eden Valley, the North Pennines, the Furness Peninsula, and a small part of the Yorkshire Dales.
Highlights of Cumbria & the Lake District
- Explore the gorgeous Lake District, in the county of Cumbria, England’s most mountainous region
- Visit the Lakeland Motor Museum
- Drive the renowned Hardknott & Wrynose Passes – and the Kirkstone & Honister Passes
- Explore stately homes such as Holker Hall, medieval Levens Hall & Sizergh Castle
- Learn about the Arts & Crafts movement at Blackwell House
- Drive around the lakes/waters of Coniston, Windermere, Thirlmere, Ullswater, Bassenthwaite & Derwent
- Visit Beatrix Potter’s home at Hill Top and see where Peter Rabbit and friends lived
- Discover the amazing Lanercost Priory
- Uncover the area’s history in the walls and grounds of Muncaster Castle
- Drive along Hadrian’s Wall and see Birdoswald Fort
- Do underground into the Honister slate mine
- Explore the ruins of Lowther Castle and visit the beautiful grounds