Cumbria and the Lake District have some of the finest expanses of British countryside and this region has spellbound the adventurous traveller since the earliest days of tourism. The Lake District attracts visitors from all over the world with its scenic beauty, its mountains, still lakes and villages which seem to have grown out of this rocky landscape. Stone walls can be seen stretching skywards over all but the highest of hills. The area inspired Wordsworth and other writers and poets – and with good reason.
Enjoy five days touring Cumbria and the Lake District, based at two wonderful hotels, with three nights in each. The second hotel has just been awarded a well-deserved Michelin star.
Highlights of Cumbria & the Lake District
- Explore the gorgeous Lake District, in the county of Cumbria, England’s most mountainous region
- Visit the Lakeland Motor Museum
- Drive the renowned Hardknott & Wrynose Passes – and the Kirkstone & Honister Passes
- Explore stately homes such as Holker Hall, medieval Levens Hall & Sizergh Castle
- Learn about the Arts & Crafts movement at Blackwell House
- Drive around the lakes/waters of Coniston, Windermere, Thirlmere, Ullswater, Bassenthwaite & Derwent
- Visit Beatrix Potter’s home at Hill Top and see where Peter Rabbit and friends lived
- Visit the Ruskin Museum which tells the story of Donald Campbell’s Bluebird
- Discover the amazing Lanercost Priory
- Uncover the area’s history in the walls and grounds of Muncaster Castle
- Drive along Hadrian’s Wall and see Birdoswald Fort
- Go underground into the Honister slate mine
- Explore the ruins of Lowther Castle and visit the beautiful grounds