This Isle of Wight Tour is on behalf of The SL Shop for Mercedes SL owners/drivers.
The largest island off the English coast is a delightful, self-contained community covering an area of 147 square miles, half of which is designated as an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The 67 miles of coastline include chalk and sandstone cliffs, sandy beaches, marshes and estuaries and deep coastal ravines, while inland are ancient forests, farmland, downs and river valleys. The Isle of Wight is the perfect place to enjoy a relaxing break, at any time of the year. It is a stunning Island with unspoilt scenery and a wealth of fascinating attractions.
May be subject to change.
Day 1 : 19 October 201716 miles
Arrive on the island via Red Funnel Isle of Wight Ferries to East Cowes. The ferry crossing can be booked at any time to suit you. It is then a short drive to visit Osbourne House, former home to Queen Victoria. Then it’s cross-country, on some delightfully quiet lanes, through Newchurch and onto Ventnor. Stop and visit the renowned Garlic Farm, with an amazing array of the bulbs and everything (and more) to do with garlic. There is a Welcome Dinner included at the hotel.
Day 2 : 20 October 201765 miles
Explore the western side of the island today, heading along the coast to Blackgang and the superb road to Freshwater. Continue to Alum Bay to see the Needles, and then drive onto the pretty port of Yarmouth for lunch. Then head to Newtown, famed for its National Trust properties, and then along the seafront to Cowes, Britain’s yachting capital. Enjoy a stroll around Cowes, and indulge in a spot of shopping. Then head south to Carisbrooke Castle, and visit this amazing medieval building and wander around the ramparts. Continue south to the idyllic villages of Brighstone and Mottistone, where you can visit the manor. Return to Ventnor on the back roads in plenty of time for dinner.
Day 3 : 21 October 201750 miles
Discover the island’s eastern half starting with a visit to Appuldurcombe House, with its Owl & Falconry Centre. Continue to Godshill, which is an ideal place to stop for coffee (or hot chocolate at Chocolate Island). Drive along some of the wonderful small lanes, wiggling your way up to Newport. Head over Brading Downs to Ryde, on the north coast of the island. Drive along the esplanade, past the pier, and head on to the lovely village of Bembridge. Visit the superb roman remains at Brading with its excellent visitor centre. Then on to Adgestone Vineyard for some samples of their fine wines, before heading to Shanklin old village. Return to Ventnor via the quaint village of Bonchurch.
Day 4 : 22 October 201716 miles
Return to Cowes via the pretty village of Godshill. Once in Southampton, depart for home.
Stay in a fabulous 4 star hotel on the south coast of the Island, in the quintessentially English resort of Ventnor. The hotel is steeped in history and is the perfect base to discover the island’s colourful past. Most of the bedrooms have a view of the gardens with the sea beyond and it is an few minutes stroll to the sandy beach. The renowned restaurant has been consistently awarded 2 AA rosettes. There is an outdoor pool as well.
- An extensively researched and carefully designed itinerary to optimise your trip.
- Three nights accommodation with breakfast at one of the Island’s best hotels
- Three course dinner with wine (1/2 bottle per person) each night
- Welcome drink on the first evening
- Return car ferry crossing from Southampton to Cowes
- Visit to Osbourne House
- Tour pack (tour book with maps, directions, information; road atlas; rally plate)
- Services of Tour Director, Sarah Dowding, and assistant, throughout the tour
- This tour is only open to owners of Mercedes SLs: W113, R107 & R129
- Please ensure you have suitable travel insurance
- It is a good idea to carry a warning triangle, first-aid kit, fluorescent jacket, set of replacement bulbs and a national identification sticker.
- The most important requirement is that you take pleasure in motoring through fabulous scenery and relish individual, character hotels
Classic Room: £699 per person |
Deluxe Room: £750 per person |
Premier Room: £790 per person |