Explore the beautiful Northumbria in north-east England – Northumberland, parts of County Durham, and a brief foray into Scotland, for 8 days. It’s not all Romans, ruins and windswept islands – there are also grand houses, gastropubs and quirky shops. The tour will be based at just two luxury hotels, both in historic, beautiful buildings.
This tour includes visits to Alnwick Castle & Gardens, Bamburgh Castle, Hadrian’s Wall, the stunning Northumberland coast, Lindisfarne, and the wonderful towns of Corbridge and Hexham. It’s a large region, wild in parts, with lots of space. There are fewer cars and the roads offer maximum enjoyments as beautiful scenery unfolds in every direction.
- Stunning scenery of Northumberland, County Durham, parts of Cumbria & a wee bit of Scotland
- Drive along Hadrian’s Wall & visit some of the forts and museums that are dotted along its length
- Visit the superb Alnwick Castle, full of history
- Wander around the sensational Alnwick Castle Gardens
- See the magnificent Jedburgh Abbey
- Visit the incredible Bowes Museum, with its wealth of fascinating collections
- Explore beautiful stately homes such as Wallington House, Belsay Hall, Cragside, & Bamburgh Castle
- An exclusive private tour & afternoon tea at Hesleyside Hall (not open to the public), a former pele/peel tower
- Visit Holy Island/Lindisfarne
- Cultural delights such as historic castles & churches, ancient towns & villages, & interesting museums
The routes were stunning and the hotels very well situated to appreciate all the sights you had managed to discover. Fabulous streams, wonderful gardens and quirky bridges….so much of nature to see and the ancient castles along the shoreline majestic in their solemnity. – R&N.C., Gloucestershire